If you’re aged 14 to 25 and interested in volunteering then YOU are in the right place!
What is a volunteer?
A volunteer is somebody who gives his or her time and skills for free. It can mean anything from volunteering from one day a week in a charity shop to spending a year helping children in disadvantaged areas of the world.
Volunteers are not paid for their time
It is not the same as work experience, which is where you are employed (and not paid) for a certain amount of time in order to gain experience in the workplace. Instead, volunteers work for organisations that have worthy causes such as helping the environment or those with greater needs than others.
Volunteering is more than just helping others; it’s about helping yourself too.
5 great reasons to volunteer
- It’s good for your health! – it helps to decrease stress levels, gives you a sense of purpose and positive emotions
- It’s a career booster!! – it gives you a range of new skills, increases your confidence and creates a positive impression of you
- It’s real work experience – it gives you a taste of what it’s like to work
- Make an impact! – at home or abroad, volunteering gives you the chance to play an active part in improving your own community or the world.
- It’s fun!! – make new friends, enjoy experiences you otherwise wouldn’t have