avow logo

About AVOW

The Discretionary Assistance Fund


wagThe Discretionary Assistance Fund is a grant scheme which can provide payments or in-kind support for two purposes:

Payments are available to people who do not have alternative means of paying for what they need and do not need to be paid back. Both EAP & IAP grant awards are for one-off needs rather than on-going expenses

Who can apply for an Emergency Assistance Payment (EAP)?

You may be eligible for an Emergency Assistance Payment if you:

Who can apply for an Individual Assistance Payment (IAP)?

To be eligible for an Individual Assistance Payment, you, or the person you care for must be resident in Wales and getting on of the following benefits:

You may also be able to get an Individual Assistance Payment if you are likely to get one of these benefits when you leave care, such as a hospital, a care home or a prison.

Purpose of an Emergency Assistance Payment (EAP)

Emergency Assistance Payments are to help with essential costs after an emergency or if you have experienced a disaster such as a fire or flood in your home.

The level of support you may be offered will be determined by the needs presented in your application. You must prove in your application that not getting the help you are asking for will put either you or your family’s health or wellbeing at risk.

When you should not apply for an Emergency Assistance Payment

You should not apply for an Emergency Assistance Payment if you have:

Purpose of an Individual Assistance Payment (IAP)

Individual Assistance Payments are to help you, or someone you care for, live as independent a life as possible in the community rather than enter or remain in an institution This could be because they:

When you should not apply for an Individual Assistance Payment

You should not apply for an Individual Assistance Payment if you:

You may not be eligible for an Individual Assistance Payment, or the amount you are awarded may be reduced if you or your partner have any savings or capital totalling over £500 (or £1,000 if you or your partner is of pensionable age). If you are a prisoner any grant awarded may be reduced by the value of any discharge grant or warrants made.

Support with an application

You may wish to ask your support worker, social worker, care worker, tenancy support officer, probation officer or similar to help you with an application. However, in emergency situations, it is recommended that you apply by Freephone telephone as quickly as possible

The telephone application service is fully bilingual and all telephone applications can be completed in Welsh. Application forms in other languages, braille and large print are available on request.

How is a decision made whether a grant is awarded?

A decision maker will look at all the information on your application before deciding if we can make a grant. There is only a limited amount of money available for payments and items so we cannot make a grant in every case.

The information you give us on the form will help us decide:

Providing information

You need to give us as much information as you can about how a grant would help you, either to cope with a crisis or to live independently in the community. This information will be used to decide whether or not a grant payment can be made.

If you do not give us the information we ask for in the form, we will not be able to give you a grant. We will check some of the information you give us, for example the benefits you are on, with the Department of Work and Pensions.

Other people may be approached about your application, for example social workers or doctors. Payment of a Grant or provision of items will be made only when this is the only way that you can get the help you need. You may get less than you have asked for.

How to apply

You can apply to the fund by:

Telephone – call 0800 859 5924 (free from a landline) or 03301 015 000 (charged a local rate)

Via the Money Made Clear Wales website, where you can complete an online application or download a postal application:

Please follow this link:


Turnaround times

Turnaround times from a submitted application

What if the application is turned down?

You can request an Internal Review within 20 days of receiving your original decision. You can ask for your application to be reviewed if you feel one of the following reasons applies to your case:

When will review decisions be made?

What happens next?

If after 1st stage review you are still unhappy with your decision then you can apply for a 2nd Stage external review. Your complete case will be reviewed and any additional information gathered to ensure a transparent and open review is followed within the same timescales as a 1st stage review.

betsi cadwaladrwrexham150th-anniversary-logo_smallLayout 1pqasso_welsh_level_2_logoSFC-PQASSO_2 Star_CMYKtssw-large-logo
Communities 2.0 logo

All rights reserved. © Association of Voluntary Organisations in Wrexham 2018

Website design and development: Colony of Ants Web Design