S4C review – invitation for submissions
As you may know, the government recently announced that Euryn Ogwen Williams will lead an independent review of the Welsh broadcaster S4C. Euryn’s in-depth knowledge and understanding of the broadcasting sector, the Welsh language and Welsh culture makes him the ideal candidate to lead this important work.
The 3 month review will look at S4C’s remit, funding methods and governance structure. The full terms of reference for the review can be found here.
Euryn will report his recommendations to the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport in December 2017, and the government will publish his report soon afterwards.
We are keen to hear your views and encourage you to submit evidence which considers some or all of these key themes:
- S4C’s role in strengthening Welsh identity and culture, and promoting the Welsh language
- S4C’s contribution to the Welsh economy
- S4C’s editorial independence
- S4C’s relationship with the independent production sector, other broadcasters and cultural institutions, including whether its partnerships are working effectively
- S4C’s current governance and accountability framework, including the role of the S4C Authority, its complaints procedure and whether alternative governance models should be considered
- S4C’s current regulatory framework and the role of Ofcom
- S4C’s current funding methods, including the licence fee, grant-in-aid, commercial revenue, and its financial relationship with the BBC
- The extent of S4C’s commercial freedom
- S4C’s ability to adapt to a changing market, particularly in terms of linear broadcasting vs digital services
Please send your submission to S4Creview@culture.gov.uk by 13 October 2017