Natural Resources Wales – New Approach to Funding
Over recent months Natural Resources Wales has been developing a new Commissioning model to replace its current approach to funding partnership projects.
Natural Resources Wales will distribute funding through a commissioning model, and will identify themes and challenges which will need to be addressed together. Below are their key messages regarding this new funding model:
- NRW recognises the valuable work of its partners in supporting a healthy Welsh environment and is committed to being a funding organisation
- NRW will fund projects in each of the areas covered by Wales’ Area Statements
- NRW will fund ‘All Wales’ projects recognising the interventions that are best delivered once for Wales
- NRW can only provide project funding – they will use the Welsh Government’s Code of Practice for Funding the Third Sector
- Funding will be available in the region of £3 million per year – subject to any reductions in NRW’s Grant In Aid
- Partners will be able to apply for up to 3 years funding from 2018 – helping longer term planning
- NRW will have a two stage process – inviting initial expressions of interest, followed by invitation to make a full application
An open call for projects to come forward with approaches to these challenges is currently envisaged to open by Spring 2018. It is likely that NRW will be able to provide interested parties with more detail about how expressions of interest may be submitted by October 2017.