Volunteer: Stock Preparation Assistant – Ongoing
Role Title: Stock Preparation Assistant
Department: Retail, Income Generation
Reporting to: Shop Manager
Location: One of our shops across Wales & England
Why am I needed?
Community is at the heart of everything that we do at Tenovus Cancer Care to help those affected by cancer. Our aim is simple – to deliver a vision where fewer people get cancer and those that do will receive equal access to excellent treatment. However, we can’t do this without your help. Our shops in local communities are crucial to us raising vital funds. So, we’d like you to volunteer your time and commitment to help us make a difference. We need you to help select and prepare the best clothes, shoes and accessories for sale on the shop floor and turn our rags into riches.
What will I be doing?
- Sorting donations of clothes, shoes and accessories into saleable stock and items for us to sell in our shops
- Preparing stock for sale by hanging, sizing, steaming and labelling each item
- Pricing garments at their full value to generate maximum income by considering the brand, quality, fashionability and condition of each item
- Research goods for sale on eBay, car boot sales, auctions and competitors to make sure we’re charging the best prices
- Maintaining high levels of shop standards, presentation and cleanliness
- Speaking with customers, making them welcome and answering queries
- Promoting awareness of the charity and the services that we provide.
What skills do I need?
- A strong interest in fashion and clothing with an appreciation of quality and knowledge of brands
- Be able to work quickly and accurately with a keen eye for detail
- Able to work on your own initiative and as part of a team
- Able to communicate effectively with other members of the team and customers
- Excellent customer service skills
- Able to think methodically
- Previous retail skills would be an advantage but not essential.
Many of the standard tasks within the shop involve standing or sitting, handling bags and donations from the public and there may be stairs to climb depending on which shop you are based in. If you have any concerns about this, please speak with the Shop Manager when expressing your interest in volunteering.
How much time do I need to commit?
We’d need you to be able to give around 4 hours per week if you can with the possibility to do more if you’d like to. However we appreciate any time you’d like to give; please let us know this on your application form. All we ask is that you give the same hours each week and that you let us know as soon as you can if you’re not able to make it. This’ll help us to plan our week.
What support will I be given?
- Before starting with Tenovus Cancer Care, we ask that you do try a small number of hours in the shop so we can both see how the role may suit you. The amount of hours can be decided between you and the Shop Manager.
- Following that the Shop Manager and team will be on hand to run you through the basics of helping in a shop in your first few days and they’ll always be on hand after that.
- Becoming a volunteer with Tenovus Cancer Care can be a rewarding experience and is certainly invaluable to the charity and its goals.
What benefits can I expect?
- Reasonable expenses will be reimbursed in line with organisational policy
- The satisfaction of knowing you are making a vital difference to the work of Tenovus Cancer Care, and in particular the people who access our unique services
- The opportunity to develop new and existing skills
- Access to all internal vacancies
- Access to training
- The enjoyment of meeting new people and being part of our Retail Team
- The chance to gain experience of helping Wales’ leading cancer charity.
Where will I be based?
You will be based within your local Tenovus Cancer Care shop.
How do I apply?
Please contact the Shop Manager in your local shop directly or alternatively please contact our Volunteer Development Team on 029 2076 8850 for an informal chat or e-mail email@example.com for an application form should you require one. Alternatively please follow this link to Apply Online.